Friday, September 3, 2010

reality check

For the past couple of days, I have been pouting over the fact that I am going to miss my first Clemson home opener in years. I honestly cannot remember a time when I didn't watch the Tigers run down the hill to kick-off football season from my cozy seat in Death Valley with 80,000+ of my closest friends, cheering loudly for the guys in orange. One of Richard's good friends from the general surgery program is getting married this weekend in Charlottesville, but we honestly may not have made the trip to watch the Tigers take on North Texas anyway because of the distance and (hopefully) the cake walk the game will be. I have complained to Richard about it, shed a few tears over it, and have just all in all had a terrible attitude about being deprived of one of my greatest joys in life, experiencing game day in God's Country.

But today, as I ventured over to the Naval Hospital for an eye appointment (yay for free healthcare!), I saw a young soldier in wheelchair with a "wounded warrior" t-shirt. He was missing both of his legs and had other extensive injuries, but was wheeling quickly through the hallway with a big smile on his face as his wife and new baby walked next to him. He cheerfully greeted the doctors in the hallway and obviously had a very positive outlook, despite his circumstances.

And in that instance, I realized that there is way more to life than football. And I am so, so blessed. Thank you God, for that reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment