Wednesday, May 18, 2011

fun times with a two year-old (and his parents!)

The American Urological Association hosted its annual convention in DC this past week, and it provided a great reason for Kim and Brian and Jackson to come visit! Kim was my freshman year college roommate and is so dang smart. She is almost finished with her urology residency at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and she was her to present some of her research, in addition to seeing me and Richard. We had the best time with Kim and Brian, her husband, and with their adorable two year-old, Jackson, who was our ring bearer. He has gone from barely talking to putting together sentences and giving an emphatic NO to almost every question you ask him. SO independent!

Brian had never been to DC, and they saw all kinds of monuments while I was working. But we did all sorts of other fun things while we were together.

We enjoyed the BGR Joint- Jackson is asking for a "sipasoda' below.


We visited the Georgetown Cupcake. Before dinner. Because it made sense to us! And then Jackson's cupcake kept him entertained while we waited on our food at Jaleo.


yummy icing

On Sunday, we went to the Cabin John park, which has an incredible ride-on train. Sadly it was closed because the tracks were wet, but we still had a great time playing.

always on the move

hard to believe it's been ELEVEN years this August since we moved in together!

I love the picture below of the Burgess family. Jackson rarely wants to pose for a picture- he's just way too busy!- but I love how this captures his joy. It's amazing how that joy can turn to despair in 0.2 seconds, and then joy again with the suggestion of the Mickey Christmas DVD or Nit Nots on Imagination Movers. Man, we will have DVD players in ALL cars when we have kids!

Richard loves the Pirates Tavern, and while I'd never been, I thought it would be the perfect place for lunch considering Jackson's obsession with pirates. He's quick to play the villain though, and gleefully announces "I Captain Hook!" Dad usually has to be Peter Pan. The Pirate's Tavern staff was great and brought out all kinds of swords, including foam ones for a sword fight!
get him, Jackson!

Jackson fell asleep after the Pirate's Tavern, but another (bigger) boy in our group was determined to go to Glen Echo to ride the carousel. Glad we could do that while Jackson slept. It was just a little odd that they were playing Christmas music...



The Burgess family came to see me at the Capitol on Monday, which was really fun. The Hill magazines always catch different Members coming through the Cannon tunnel, so I thought I'd catch a similar picture of my friends.


Our fabulous intern took us on a tour, which I had actually never been on, so it was equally as informative for me. We saw the old Supreme Court chambers where Marbury v. Madison was argued, sat on the House floor and went in the old Senate chambers.

old Supreme Court chambers- I got goosebumps being in there!

looking a little wind-blown in the rain

Kim and Brian went out for the anniversary on Monday night (they celebrated 8 years on the 17th!), and Richard and I baby-sat Jackson. Bless his heart, he was NOT happy to be stuck with us! But we made it through and learned a little in the process- maybe we're not as ready for kids as I thought!

We were able to celebrate with Kim and Jackson at the Blue Duck Tavern on their actual anniversary, and the food was incredible.

discussing throwing in "monies"

so stubborn- "no camera!" "no pictures!"

stubborn or not, I love this child


We also strolled the Georgetown waterfront and finally got a picture of everyone.



We ended our food tour of DC with a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl and even had a celebrity sighting!

half smoke and chili cheese fries

hey Donovan McNabb!

It was absolutely wonderful to get to spend some quality time with my old friend and her family. I just wish we were closer and our visits more frequent! Kim is like a sister to me- Jackson even calls me "Aunt Jessie" which is Brian's sister's name. Considering she's several years my junior, I'll take that as a compliment. After having his car seat in the back of my car the past several days, I got a little sad when I looked in the rear view mirror and saw it was gone this evening.

Burgess family, please come back soon!

1 comment:

  1. What a great summary of our trip. We had such a good time visiting you and Richard and can't wait to see you again. Yesterday I pointed to your pictures on our fridge and asked Jackson "Who's that?" and he said "Aunt Jessie". Love you!

    ReplyDelete