Friday, May 11, 2012

thanks, Mom

There is nothing like living 500 miles away from your mom to make you realize how much you value her role in your life. As much as I love my husband, there are days when you just need your mama. Especially when Richard is on call, and I am spending a Friday night watching Say Yes to the Dress by myself! Discussing the dresses via text is just not quite the same as reacting to them together in person, with my dad contributing the occasional, often snarky, comment. 

I honestly am not sure if I would have made it through the stress of planning a wedding and preparing for a big move without my mother. She certainly let me take the lead in coordinating the big and small details (and I wouldn't have had it any other way!), but she provided all kinds of emotional support and constantly lifted me and Richard up in prayer.

one of my favorite shots from our wedding day

Mom has been through a particularly tough year with having to retire from her nursing job before she wasn't quite ready to. It was an unexpected turn of events, but she has maintained a tremendous positive attitude and become incredibly involved in Mobile Meals. Not only does she deliver meals, but she takes recipients back and forth to their doctor visits and chemo treatments. They are lucky to have her.

Richard and I were able to get back to South Carolina last year for Mother's Day, and I hate we won't be able to celebrate in person with our moms this year. We were both blessed with moms who would literally do anything for us, and we are so thankful for them! 

Mom, me and Jeff at Cribb's Kitchen, Mother's Day 2011

Webb children and Davis children (minus Will) with our moms

Mom, I hope that one day I can be the kind of mother to my children that you have been to me, Will and Jeff. I try daily to model my interactions with others on the way I watched you treat friends and strangers alike with love growing up, and I frequently hear your voice in my head ("did you make sure to say hello to so-and-so?"..."why don't you put on some lipstick?"..."is it good, is it kind, is it true?"). You are truly a Proverbs 31 woman, and we love you more than you'll ever know. Happy Mother's Day.

Christmas 2011

"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."
Proverbs 31:26 

No comments:

Post a Comment