Wednesday, August 31, 2011

fun in the palmetto state

I just recently returned from two great weeks in South Carolina. Most of my trip was work-related, but I found the time to squeeze in some great time with friends too! If only I could just bring all of these fine folks to DC.

Below are some of the highlights from my time at home.
dinner at Za's with Rebecca and Terra- these sweet girls and I went through law school together from our very first Section 1 class, and I miss them dearly! Can't wait to meet Terra's new baby, due right around Christmas.

Part of my second week in South Carolina was spent touring the state's three research universities. I work on higher education issues as part of my portfolio, so it was great to see all that's happening at Clemson, USC and MUSC. We are very lucky to have each of these institutions in my home state!

Katy, Courtney, Laura and me with President Barker- a man who I have had tremendous respect for since I started Clemson in 1999

enjoying a gorgeous purple and orange sunset on Lake Hartwell

we had the privilege of meeting Coach Ray Tanner at USC (and seeing the two baseball national championship trophies- despite my loyalty to Clemson athletics, I can't help but cheer for Coach Tanner!

Ashley, Rebecca and I met at Yummilicious for yogurt- conversation with these girls is good for my soul. And I am so excited to celebrate the arrival of baby #2 for Ashley and Nathan! Ashley's pregnancy is truly proof that God is faithful to answer our prayers.

out and about with Hill friends in Charleston

precious Ella Grace, one of my adorable flower girls, in Charleston- hard to believe she's already 3

Hannah and Bec put together an AMAZING southern dinner- bbq ribs, collards, mac and cheese, homemade cornbread, sour cream pound cake...and margaritas from a little further south

Hurricane Irene unfortunately kept me from going down to the beach to celebrate the engagement of a dear friend, Miss Jessica Stokes, but it worked out ok because it meant more time with my mom and dad in Spartanburg. Dad is recovering well from his hip replacement and has really been the model patient! We loved having dinner at Cribb's Kitchen in Spartanburg with Mr. and Mrs. Webb.

mom and dad at Cribb's- the food was incredible

Going back to Spartanburg also meant I got to have breakfast with April! We have been friends since pre-school and went all through grade school and then to Clemson together, but I didn't see too much of her while we were students at Clemson. At least once every two weeks or so though, we'd go to the Anderson Cracker Barrel to catch up on each other's lives. So it was only fitting we did brunch at Cracker Barrel before I had to go back to DC.

pretty friend with her peach pancakes

I had a great time seeing all these familiar faces, but I sure did miss my husband! As much as I adore being in South Carolina, I was happy to get home to him and to sleep in my own bed. Thankfully football season is right around the corner, and we'll be back in the Upstate soon to cheer on the Tigers.

No comments:

Post a Comment