Friday, February 3, 2012

birthday celebration

I turned 31 yesterday. 31! That number is still sinking in, but honestly 31 is feels a little less pressure-filled than 30. 30 was such a big milestone, and 31 has been a number I've not been as fixated on. It is what it is, and I'm thankful that God has blessed me with another year!

I woke up in a hotel on my 30th birthday since our furnace was out and our house was freezing, so waking up in my own bed with working heat was a treat in itself. And then I walked in my office to find this:
my corner "office"

Such fun birthday decorations! It was a little birthday fort. I always wanted a canopy bed as a child and never got one, so I really enjoyed my streamer canopy. My sweet co-workers brought treats, and we all enjoyed dessert on a super busy day in the office.

Christopher, me, Mary Anna and Patrick- thanks, friends!

Since Richard is working long hours in Baltimore this month, he made a dinner reservation there at Woodberry Kitchen. We had both been wanting to try it, so it seemed like the perfect place for a birthday dinner. The plan was for me to take the train to Baltimore from DC's Union Station, then take a cab to our hotel for the night if Richard hadn't finished up in the hospital.

The only problem? There were no cabs at the Camden Yards train station. And it was kind of sketchy. After a few scary minutes alone in the waiting area with a mentally-ill homeless lady, I found another friend looking for a cab. She turned out to be a medical student in town for residency interviews, and I truly believe the good Lord put her in my path! We thankfully found a cab that we took together, but not before I tripped over a no parking sign that had falled over in the wind. A gashed knee and huge pantyhose run later, I made it to the hotel a bit worse for wear, with the thought that my evening could only improve from there!
Admiral Fell Inn in Fells Point

My knight in pink scrubs (Shock Trauma's signature color) finally arrived from the hospital, and our Woodberry Kitchen experience was wonderful. We started off with hand-crafted cocktails, deviled eggs and ham and skillet cornbread, and made our way through the most delicious oysters, a pulled pork flatbread, and finally roasted chicken and sweet potatoes. All absolutely phenomenal.
old-fashioned menu board

loved spending the evening with my hard-working husband

Richard, our oysters, and his Government Mule in a copper mug

chicken, biscuit, kale and sweet potatoes

Richard had bought a birthday cake, but when the Food Network came to Woodbury Kitchen, they featured the CMP- a concoction with chocolate, marshmallows and peanuts, sealed with a sugar lid. It was incredible- Richard said it ranked high up on the list of desserts that have changed his life. And the boy likes desserts!

the famous CMP

The waitress was sweet to bring me a birthday plate with basil ice cream and a shortbread cookie. The basil ice cream was unique, but I think I might have enjoyed it more in the summer time. And it's a little unfair the ice cream had to compete with the CMP.


After dinner, we went back to our little inn to have birthday cake (or look at the birthday cake in my case) and open presents.

strawberry birthday cake

6 am this morning came way too soon, and I headed back to DC after seeing a beautiful sunrise.

Fells Point

After a bit of a shaky start, it was a great Baltimore birthday!

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! Happy Belated birthday!!! I know, when I turned 31, it finally hit me... I am in my 30's! Wes just laughed and me and said, "Babe, you've been in your 30's for a year now... get over it". ha!
    Such cute pictures! I love your dress. I did have to laugh at the fall... only because I do that stuff all the time. I have scars everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete